Mini Trajectory Pillow

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Where in the world did the summer go! I had lots planned for the never-ending "To Do" list~it just all scoots by so very fast. Something very exciting~a trip to Sisters, OR for an ENTIRE week with some of the best gals I know. We took classes, drooled over fabric and wool, rode bikes, drank margaritas and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

As for the sewing, this is what's happening in my sewing room this week. . .

While at Sisters, I saw this quilt, I loved it! I thought it would be great scaled down with blocks small enough to make a pillow.

So, I took to InDesign and drew up a 3" finished paper pieced pattern. Choosing fabrics was easy, I knew I wanted to use solids and I had my Michael Miller Cotton Couture QuiltCon bundle warming on the cutting table (I had a 1/2 yard of white fabric to work with).  I cut the white, background squares at 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"; the colored solids at 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles and ten setting squares cut at 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". I made 26 trajectory blocks.

Layered with fusible fleece and muslin I quilted a simple crosshatch design~I didn't want to take away from the blocks themselves. . .I just love them!

You can see where the setting squares are used. . .

Installed a 14" zipper to the pillow back. Featured fabric is from the La Dee Da line by Erin McMorris. It's a perfect match for the solids of QuiltCon!

Made some binding with some of the leftover Turquoise fabric; stitched it all together and

BAM! A pillow! It measures as an 18" square. I used a 20" square pillow form to give it a full, plump look. Want to make one for yourself? Click here and download the PDF template I've created for Craftsy!

Thanks must go to Megan, as the author and inspiration behind this block!








6 comments:

  1. it's beautiful! Such a simple design but so effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun trip with friends. This is an awesome project! I love how you translated the inspiration quilt into this pillow. I love the cool shapes this design creates. Thanks for sharing!

    PS - don't forget to stop for a moment and enjoy Fall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sew happy to see you sewing again...knowing how important you take being a mommy seriously and devote yourself to your family! I admire women who sacrifice "me" time with such a sweet and loving heart!

    You bless me!

    The pillow is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect! Such great colors and I love the small blocks!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs