Emerald~Pantone Color of the Year

Sunday, February 24, 2013


 The Pantone color for 2013 is Emerald Green. I love greens, but very rarely choose this particular shade when I sew. The challenge calls for Emerald Green, a background fabric and one additional color~for me that was yellow! Hawthorne Threads has a great bundle specifically designed to celebrate Emerald Green, I ordered it, paired it with the yellow dot floral from Bari J's Lilly Belle collection and Robert Kaufman's Essex Yarn Dye in Black.

I decided to make a small quilt, 36" x 48" with the Flying Dutchman block. Very scrappy. I've used the Quilt In A Day Ruler before, but it had been along time since it'd been out of the ruler drawer. A quick refresher, and one miss-cut block later, I was using it like a pro. BUT, the ruler requires you cut along all 4 sides without shifting the block. I tried this with a conventional mat and it was awkward. Sooooo, I gathered up a 40% coupon for JoAnn's and purchased one of the 360° rotary mats. A quilty friend had mentioned how much she had loved hers and I thought it would be perfect for this project. And it is! Best. Mat. Ever. The mat rotates similar to a lazy susan and made cutting these blocks fast, fast, fast! The mat is a 12" square so it's a perfect size for toting along to sew days, also.

The geese stitched off perfectly. I did make a modification to the instructions for the ruler, I pressed the seams open versus pressing to the darker fabric as instructed. The blocks lay much nicer, and the seams are more evenly distributed across the block. 

 Using the ruler to make the geese, allows for 4 geese per unit. Again, making the process much quicker than the traditional method.

 Did I mention how much I loved the green and yellow with the yarn dye! The RK yarn dye fabrics give such texture to projects.

Here are the first six blocks! My goal is to have all 12 blocks stitched off, and the quilt top together by the end of February. This, leaving me just under a week to quilt and bind!

Love quilts? Love green? Head on over to the Flickr group to see everyone's amazing progress and projects. And to join in the fun!

Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOhhhhh, the leprechaun in me is sooooo jealous! Could you change it to the "Flying Irishman"? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project! Love the colors and variety of prints you pulled to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and so original! I think you did a beautiful job here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blocks. Gray is not a go-to color for me, but it sure looks wonderful with the greens. Hmmm.

    blessings, jill
    visiting from quilting gallery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the combination of green, yellow, and gray!

    I was having a hard time finding fabrics to match up with Pantone's colors, so I created my own Pantone fabric chart. Check it out at www.sandkboutique.com.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs